Definition of Mediated Interlibrary Loan Service
Mediated Interlibrary Loan applies to material borrowed from libraries outside this local (MVLC) network or the statewide Commonwealth Catalog. Interlibrary Loan Service is available only to patrons in good standing.
Borrowing parameters for mediated Interlibrary Loan material may differ from Memorial Hall Library standard borrowing parameters:
- All items must be picked up at and returned to Memorial Hall Library.
- Patrons are required to provide current email address as well as the best phone number for notification.
- Some policies for items borrowed through mediated Interlibrary Loan are determined by the owning library. These include, but are not limited to, checkout periods, fees for borrowing materials, and handling charges.
- Renewals must be requested before the item is due. Renewals are at the discretion of the owning library.
- Most formats are available for loan, however the policies of the owning library determine which formats they will and will not send.
- Items less than six months old and popular titles cannot be requested.
- Items owned by MVLC or available through the Commonwealth Catalog, and on-line electronic materials will not be requested through mediated Interlibrary Loan.
- Only items available in the U.S. and Canada are available for loan.
- There is a limit of 10 active requests/loans per patron.
- Every effort will be made to borrow items free of additional charges. However, patrons must indicate at the time the request is made if and how much they are willing to pay.
- All fees assessed by the lending library will be the responsibility of the borrower (resident or non-resident). The patron must agree to this charge before the item(s) can be requested.
- There will be a $5.00 charge for all items not picked up within 8 days of notification.
- Patrons will be responsible for the cost of lost or damaged materials. If the item is subsequently returned this charge may or may not be refundable.
- Repeated failure to return mediated ILL items by the due date will result in a suspension of mediated ILL borrowing privileges for up to one year.
Approved by the Memorial Hall Library Board of Trustees, December 11, 2013