Mediated Interlibrary Loan Policy
Purpose of Mediated Interlibrary Loan Service
The purpose of mediated interlibrary loan (ILL) is to expand the scope of materials available to library patrons. If libraries within the Merrimack Valley Library Consortium (MVLC) and the statewide Commonwealth Catalog do not own an item, the ILL staff will attempt to borrow the material from other libraries throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Terms of Borrowing
The terms of borrowing for mediated interlibrary loan material may differ from Memorial Hall Library's standard borrowing parameters:
- Interlibrary loan service is available to both Andover residents and non-residents in good standing. Temporary patrons of MVLC are not eligible for this service.
- All items must be picked up at and returned to Memorial Hall Library.
- Patrons are required to provide a current email address or the best phone number for notification.
- Some policies for items borrowed through mediated interlibrary loan are determined by the owning library. These include, but are not limited to, checkout periods, fees for borrowing materials, and handling charges.
- Renewals must be requested before the item is due. Renewals are at the discretion of the owning library.
- Please note that the length of time it takes for us to receive materials owned by libraries outside MVLC varies according to their point of origin and availability. If you no longer need the item, please notify us as soon as possible.
- Most formats are available for loan, however the policies of the owning library determine which formats they will and will not send.
- Items less than six months old and popular titles cannot be requested through ILL but can be requested for purchase by the library.
- Items owned by MVLC or available through the Commonwealth Catalog, and online electronic materials, will not be requested through mediated Interlibrary Loan.
- Only items available in the U.S. and Canada are available for loan.
- There is a limit of 10 active requests/loans per patron.
- Every effort will be made to borrow items free of additional charges. However, patrons must indicate at the time the request is made if and how much they are willing to pay.
- All fees assessed by the lending library will be the responsibility of the borrower (resident or non-resident). The patron must agree to this charge before the item(s) can be requested.
- Patrons will be responsible for the cost of lost or damaged materials. If the item is subsequently returned this charge is not refundable.
- Repeated failure to return mediated ILL items by the due date or to pick up items within 8 days of notification will result in a suspension of mediated ILL borrowing privileges for up to one year.
Approved by the Memorial Hall Library Board of Trustees, December 11, 2013, amended October 11, 2017, amended March 11, 2020