The mission of Memorial Hall Library is to make available a broad range of library materials, to provide up-to-date and accurate information, and to offer services and programs desired by the community of Andover. In fulfilling this mission the library strives to act as the most convenient point of access for the needed materials and information and to actively seek to make community members and organizations aware of library resources and services.
In fulfilling its mission, the Memorial Hall Library strives at all times to provide excellence in customer service. Excellence in customer service means that educated and knowledgeable staff are ready to assist patrons in finding the materials and services they want and need. Excellence in customer service also means that the staff will try to offer services in a fair manner that treats everyone with courtesy and respect and asks for courtesy and respect in return.
The following elements are emphasized in providing public service:
- Library staff will treat every patron with equal respect and every request with equal importance.
- Courtesy and attention to the needs of the library user will be the key to all interactions. Staff will try to be flexible in meeting library patrons' needs. Whenever possible, judgment calls will be made in the patrons' favor.
- Skilled library staff will use their knowledge of library resources to fulfill requests in a timely manner or else present alternatives when requests cannot be met immediately.
- Library policies and procedures exist to make library resources available on an equitable basis. If anyone has a question about why the library has a policy or if the purpose of a policy is not understood, an explanation should be provided or else referred to a supervisor or the director of the library.
- The ultimate goal of library service is to meet library patrons' expectations for service while fulfilling the library's mission. Any comments are welcome regarding how well those expectations are being met.
All library patrons deserve equal consideration and respect for their requests for library service. Library staff will seek to carry out the mission of the library in a way that provides optimum service to all.
Library staff recognize the confidentiality rights of library patrons. As a result, library staff will not reveal the identity of people using library materials to a third party nor will library staff reveal the items checked out on another patron's card. An exception to this policy will be parents who come to the Children's Department with their child's card or some ID.
All requests for information will be considered confidential and such requests will never be discussed with a third party, except with another librarian for the purpose of answering the question.
Staff members will respond to inquiries with the best factual information available but will refrain from offering personal opinions or advice in response to queries. In particular, library staff may direct patrons to sources of consumer information, but they will not recommend products or services.