All five elementary schools in the town of Andover (Bancroft, Sanborn, Shawsheen, South, West, High Plain) have playgrounds that are open to the public during non-school hours.
The following playgrounds have equipment such as swings, slides, and climbing apparatus intended for school age children:
- Ballardvale, located at the intersection of Clark Road and Andover Street
- Pomp's Pond, located off Abbott Street
- Recreation Park, located off Abbott Street
- Lower Shawsheen, located at the intersection of Balmoral and York Streets
- Indian Ridge playground, located on Cuba Street
Two parks have equipment intended for preschoolers:
- Penguin Park, located off Burnham Road near the railroad bridge, was reopened in 2003 after extensive renovation
- Ballardvale Playground, located at the intersection of Clark Road and Andover Street, has a small amount of preschool equipment
Questions and comments about playgrounds should be directed to Kim Stamas at the Town of Andover Department of Community Services, 978-623-8340.
Organized activities are run by the Andover Department of Community Services during the summer months at select locations. Activities include sports, games, crafts and creative play under the supervision of college and high school students. Call DCS at 978-623-8340 for location, dates and program hours. Supported through user fees.