Who can get a library card and how?
- Residents of Andover: Bring proof of residency (driver’s license, lease, utility bill, etc.) to the Circulation Desk. Fill out our application. Your card will be issued immediately.
- Residents of towns whose libraries belong to the Merrimack Valley Library Consortium (MVLC): Get your card at your hometown library and use it here!
- Residents of other Massachusetts towns: Get your card at your hometown library. Bring ID and proof of your residence in that town to our Circulation Desk. We will register you in our system.
- Out of state residents employed at an Andover location or Town of Andover employees: Bring ID and proof that you work in Andover. Your card will be issued immediately (Andover use only). Cards must be renewed every year.
- Phillips Academy students: You may register for a temporary card. Bring your school ID.
- Merrimack College students: You may register for a temporary card. Bring your college ID and license.
Get an eCard to borrow electronic resources right now!
An eCard is a Merrimack Valley Library Consortium library card which provides access to electronic resources: e-books, e-audiobooks, e-magazines, streaming music & videos, and databases.
The eCard is for those who do not already have an MVLC library card. You must be a resident of Massachusetts.
Questions or problems? Contact us at email@example.com or 978-623-8400.
Can I use my card at other libraries?
Yes, you may use your library card at any of the 36 members of the Merrimack Valley Library Consortium. You may also register to use any public library in Massachusetts.
What do I do if I lose my library card?
Please report a lost of stolen card immediately. You will be issued a new card.
How can I renew items?
Most items will automatically renew twice if no one is waiting for them. Contact the Circulation Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 978-623-8400 if you have questions.
Can I return an item when the library is closed?
Yes, the library has a book drop in the parking lot that is open 24/7. Please put a rubber band around items in cases that may open.
What if I return an item late or lose it?
The library charges fines only on the late return of museum passes. However, if you return an item here that you checked out at a library with fines, fines will be charged on your late item. Charges of $20 or more must be paid before you can use your card. If you check out an item and do not return it, a bill will be sent to you after 7 weeks. The item must be returned OR paid for to clear your card. If a lost item is owned by MHL it may be replaced with an exact copy in good condition.
How can I get an item if it is checked out to another borrower?
You may reserve Memorial Hall Library and other Merrimack Valley Library Consortium items that are out in circulation by:
- requesting it yourself through the the online catalog. Click on the Library Catalog link on our homepage. Search for the title. Click "Place hold." Log in to your account by entering your borrower ID and PIN number.
- asking a reference librarian to place the hold for you
- phoning the Reference Desk (978-623-8430)
Some materials are not requestable.
Table of Loan Periods and Loan Information
|Format||How Long?||How Many?||Holdable?||Fines?||Renew Twice?|
|Books on CD||3 Weeks||Unlimited||Yes||No||Yes|
|Hot Titles||3 Weeks||Unlimited||No||No||No|
|Notable Books||3 Weeks||Unlimited||Yes||No||Yes|
|Language audio||3 Weeks||Unlimited||Yes||No||Yes|
|Music CDs||3 Weeks||Unlimited||Yes||No||Yes|
|Vinyl Records||3 Weeks||Unlimited||Yes, but Andover pickup only||No||Yes|
|Movies & TV on DVD & VCD||1 Week||Unlimlited||Yes||No||Yes|
|Binge Boxes||1 Week||Unlimited||No||No||Yes|
|Travel and documentary DVDs||3 Weeks||Unlimited||Yes||No||Yes|
|Quick Flicks||1 week||3||No||No||No|
|Museum passes||Good for one day||2 per month per patron (only one per day, though)||Yes||$5 if late||No|
|Board games||1 Week||Unlimited||Yes, but Andover pickup only||No||Yes|
|Jigsaw puzzles||3 Weeks||Unlimited||Yes, but Andover pickup only||No||Yes|
|Library of Things items||various||Unlimited||Yes, but Andover pickup only||No||Yes|