To the Memory of Our Patriotic Dead

Area: 
Second Floor
Material: 
marble
Artist: 
Bowker, Torrey & Company Boston
Location: 
Memorial Hall

 

The 1872 Building Committee Records for Memorial Hall Library lists a $567 line item payable to Bowker, Torrey & Company for the purchase of tablets.  The Boston stonework firm owned by Edwin Bowker and Charles Torrey, owned a marble quarry in Carrara, Italy. At one time, Charles Torrey's brother Franklin Torrey was the American Consul in Florence, Italy.  The firm's work can also be seen in the Massachusetts State House and The Boston Public Library. It is likely that only the central two-column tablet was purchased in 1872. Reporting in the Andover Townsman mentions the purchase of additional tablets funded by the G.A.R. Relief Corps as late as 1922. 

Sources
Andover Townsman, Relief Corps plans New Tablet for Memorial Hall, 5/26/22, page 2. 
Massachusetts Charitable Mechanic Association, (1901). Proceedings of the One Hundred & Sixth Annual Meeting. Entries for Charles Torrey and Edwin Bowker. Lincoln & Perry Printers. 
Trustees of Memorial Hall Library, (1872) Records, p.47. (housed in The Andover Room at Memorial Hall Library) 

Click on a image to enlarge it.

left plaque

second from left plaque

second from right plaque

right plaque

see all Original Art in Memorial Hall Library
randomness