Summer Reading at MHL!
June 21 to August 21, 2022
Help us reach our community goal of 500,000 minutes of reading this summer!
We are excited to announce the return of in-person summer programming! We've missed seeing so many of our patrons over the last years of COVID19 challenges!
This year's Summer Reading theme is "Read Beyond the Beaten Path" and draws inspiration from the outdoors and summer camp. Thanks to the generosity of the Friends of Memorial Hall Library, we are able to present our 2022 Summer Reading Challenges through a mobile app and website called Beanstack! We've used Beanstack for the past few years and enjoy the ease of which patrons can track their reading and prizes.
Beanstack is a free mobile app you can install on a smartphone or tablet or access through your browser on a computer. It allows you to participate in reading challenges through Memorial Hall Library. Like every year, we have programs set up for children, teens, and adults, and those programs are being run through Beanstack this year. When you follow the links to Beanstack, you'll first create an account (which can be used for future challenges) and then you'll see what Reading Challenges you can sign up for at this time. If you get lost or need help, please feel free to contact us.
We've made some videos on how to use Beanstack:
Preschool to grade 5
- Every week, each child who meets the goal of reading 100 minutes a week will be entered to win a Squishmallow!
- Need a break from reading? Walk up and down Main St. to find Carmelita, our summer reading mascot. Enter her location for a chance to win even more prizes.
- Early literacy paper option is available--ask us!
- Our goal is for teens to read 10 hours (600 minutes) this summer and once they do so, they will receive:
- a pencil
- a free book
- a scratch-off ticket for other library prizes
- a raffle ticket to enter our grand prize drawing
- Teens will also receive an additional raffle ticket for each 10 hours of reading after they complete the goal.
- The grand prize drawings are for items like gift cards to the Andover Bookstore, a prize pack of popular books, Dungeons & Dragons materials, and more!
- Our adult reading goal is 10 hours (600 minutes) pages this summer.
- Earn virtual badges for reading and writing reviews.
- 10 hours of reading will be eligible for a prize in the final drawing.
Summer Reading Lists for Andover Schools
Take a look at these summer reading lists made by school staff. The lists include links to our physical copies as well as digital copies where applicable. The building is fully open all of our pre-COVID hours but we are still offering Grab and Go for patrons who prefer that service.
- 6th Grade Andover Public Schools
- 7th Grade Andover Public Schools
- 8th Grade Andover Public Schools
- High School Andover Public Schools
- 9th Grade Greater Lawrence Technical School
- 10th-12th Grade Greater Lawrence Technical School
Thank you to our Summer Reading Sponsors!
The Massachusetts Statewide Summer Library Program, “Read Beyond the Beaten Path," is funded by the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. All Memorial Hall Library programming is sponsored by the Friends of Memorial Hall Library.