Summer Reading Challenges for All Ages
June 21 to August 21
Help us reach our community goal of 250,000 pages of reading this summer!
This year, due to COVID-19, the rate of vaccinations in our community, and other considerations, MHL is still planning a mostly virtual celebration of reading this summer. We all miss seeing so many of our patrons and hope that as the weather gets warmer and the situation changes, we will reassess some of our plans. As of June 1, we are open all of regular hours with the exception of Sundays.
Despite these challenges, we're excited about our Summer Reading theme of "Tails and Tales." Thanks to the generosity of the Friends of Memorial Hall Library, we are able to safely present our 2021 Summer Reading Challenges through a mobile app and website called Beanstack!
Beanstack is a free mobile app you can install on a smartphone or tablet or access through your browser on a computer. It allows you to participate in reading challenges through Memorial Hall Library. Like every year, we have programs set up for children, teens, and adults, and those programs are being run through Beanstack this year. When you follow the links to Beanstack, you'll first create an account (which can be used for future challenges) and then you'll see what Reading Challenges you can sign up for at this time. If you get lost or need help, please feel free to contact us.
We've made some videos on how to use Beanstack:
Preschool to grade 5
- Our goal is for children to read 1000 pages this summer.
- Earn virtual badges for reading, and when you reach the goal your name will automatically be entered in a prize drawing at the end of the summer.
- We also have a registration prize for a Squishmallow and a grand prize drawing for our mascot.
- Our goal is for teens to read 1000 pages this summer and once they do so, they can pick out a free book from our prize cart!
- Earn virtual badges and tickets for completing the goal and for every additional 500 pages after 1000.
- Enter your tickets for our gift card drawings at the end of the summer for local business like Sauce, Andover Bookstore, and more!
- Our adult reading goal is 2000 pages this summer.
- Earn virtual badges for reading and writing reviews.
- Complete at least 2000 pages of reading to be eligible for a prize in the final drawing.
Summer Reading Lists for Andover Schools
Take a look at these summer reading lists made by school staff. The lists include links to our physical copies as well as digital copies where applicable. We are still offering Grab and Go but patrons can also come into the building to pick up your items off of our hold shelves.
- 6th Grade Andover Public Schools
- 7th Grade Andover Public Schools
- 8th Grade Andover Public Schools
- High School Andover Public Schools
- 9th Grade Greater Lawrence Technical School
- 10th-12th Grade Greater Lawrence Technical School
Thank you to our Summer Reading Sponsors!
“Tails and Tales" is sponsored by Memorial Hall Library, the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners and the Institute of Museum and Library Services with support from the National Women’s Hockey League team Boston Pride and Kidcasso Art Studio. All Memorial Hall Library programming is sponsored by the Friends of Memorial Hall Library.