Thank you for your interest in being a library volunteer! Opportunities are available with the Friends of Memorial Hall Library, the Teen Advisory Board, and the Tween Advisory Board. Details below:
- Friends of Memorial Hall Library is a community-based membership organization dedicated to supporting and promoting Memorial Hall Library through programs, advocacy, and financial support. Joining or donating to the Friends is an excellent way to support the Library. If you would like to be added to the list of book sale volunteers, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tween Advisory Board (TwAB) is for tweens in grades 4 - 5 who would like to help out the Children's Room in programming and planning. Our Fall 2023 dates are 10/23, 11/13, and 12/11 from 5 - 6 pm. For more information, email email@example.com.
- Teen Advisory Board (TAB) is a new program for Fall 2023 that will meet on the following Wednesdays from 7 - 8 p.m. in the Teen Room: 10/11, 10/25, 11/8, 11/29, and 12/13. TAB is open by application only for teens in grades 6 through 12. To learn more, see our application form. We have also prepared this packet of activities that teen volunteers can work on at home if they can't make the Wednesday night meetings. Teens can use the first page of that packet to track their time spent volunteering and can bring it in to be signed by library staff if needed.
If you would like to volunteer for more hours or would like a variety of volunteer experiences, here are some other great organizations in and around Andover that could use your time!
Age restrictions: adults only except for students in grades 6 and up who volunteer at Clown Town
Andona is a registered nonprofit founded in 1952 by a group of women who wanted to give back to the greater Andover community. Today, the primary objective of this charitable organization is to aid the youth and schools of Andover by raising funds through various functions, activities, and grants. Better known by some as the women who run Clown Town each May. Andona members have been running this old-fashioned carnival fundraiser the third weekend in May since 1956! Andona also plans its annual Shine the Light on Andover luminary kit fundraiser each Winter Solstice.
Andona is about women working together towards a common goal, all while forming long-lasting friendships along the way. Andona seeks adult volunteers to provide support with fundraising activities, planning membership socials, website design, handling finances, coordinating publicity, and joining committees responsible for its scholarship selection process and all aspects of its annual fundraisers. Members may also work directly with Andover Public School adjustment counselors to coordinate Andona's summer campership program for children of families in need. Students in grades 6 and up may also volunteer to work at Clown Town by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Opportunities include field set up and working at Andona's face painting, sand art, kiddie games, and food booths.
During its school year fiscal cycle, Andona typically raises approximately $50,000. These funds are then given directly to Andover Public Schools, youth organizations, and individuals through the fund request and scholarship process, as well as via Andona's summer campership program for children of families in need.
Andona provides significant & much-needed funds in support of Andover Public Schools and youth programs. Those interested in joining can learn more by visiting www.Andona.org.
Age restrictions: 15+
Cleaning Pomps Pond and Rec. Park: If you like to be outdoors in the early morning, if you’re focused and you like to make a positive environmental impact, then you might want to consider cleaning up Pomps Pond and the Rec Park before the kiddos show up for camp.
Preschool Park Events (the park off of Bartlett St.). You know the events: Luau Day, Teddy Bear Picnic, Fire Truck Day, etc. Be on hand to help out in the kid’s booths (fun stuff like face painting).
Andover Senior Center (Robb Center)
Age restrictions: teens in grades 8 - 12
Help out at a variety of fun events at the senior center, all summer long!
Contact: Jane Burns, 978-623-8320 / email@example.com
Age restrictions: homeowners aged 60+
The Andover SCRPT Program allows homeowners aged 60+ to earn a tax abatement after completing 77.25 volunteer hours. Through the SCRPT Program, volunteers assist in the Senior Center, most town departments and in all of the schools. This program runs from December 1 - November 15 each year. Applications are available during the month of September.
Contact: Ashley English, 978-623-8320
Age restrictions: none
Pick up trash with friends! Make your own schedule! Just show up at any of the AVIS reservations (check out the website below) with your own trash bag and rubber gloves and do your part to keep our lovely green spaces clean! Since this is very independent, be sure to snap a few pics as proof of your hard work! AVIS is also seeking skilled volunteers to lead nature hikes, help with the AVIS table at various community events, provide pictures or articles for the AVIS newsletter, and help with regular mailings.
More information here.
Contact: online volunteer signup form.
Age restrictions: teens 16 + (teens 14-15 please contact the Y directly)
Volunteer at various YMCA programs in Andover and Lawrence, helping with classes and the food pantry.
Age restrictions: limited to students at Andover School.
Join the Youth Assist Youth (YAY) Foundation’s after school tutoring program! We provide free homework help to middle school students. We meet at West Middle School on Mondays and Wednesday afternoons. If you know a student at West Middle School, encourage them to come to our program!
Volunteer Opportunities Outside of Andover
Age restrictions: 13+
Gleaning is the act of harvesting the leftover crops from farms, and then distributing the surplus to food pantries, meal programs and low-income markets. Volunteers under 18 must register as individual gleaners, and need to arrange their own transportation (and it's recommended they are accompanied by an adult).
Contact: online volunteer signup form.
Age restrictions: 14+, minors must be accompanied by an adult
Bread and Roses is a soup kitchen that provides a free evening meal to those in need. Volunteers are needed to help with meal prep and to help serve the evening meal.
More information here.
Age restrictions: 11+, but youth under 14 must be accompanied by an adult
Volunteers can give back to their community by helping local children in need at both our Boxford and Lawrence facilities. Volunteers sort and package clothing donations, help with building maintenance and assist social service representatives.
Contact: Boxford: 978-769-5056 / Lawrence: 978-208-1089 firstname.lastname@example.org / online volunteer signup form.
Cor Unum Meal Center
Approximately 250,000 meals are served annually at Cor Unum Meal Center in Lawrence, MA. Breakfast and dinner is served 365 days a year to individuals and families in need an an attractive restaurant-style dining room. Volunteer staffing is the foundation of all meal services at Cor Unum. Volunteers prepare and serve food, greet diners and assist in cleaning the kitchen and dining room. High school students are eligible to volunteer and group volunteer opportunities are available for classes, work cohorts, etc. Volunteers must fill out an application to inquire about service opportunities.
Age restrictions: none
The Giving Garden in North Andover was started by South Church in 2015 as an interfaith project to raise fresh produce for local food pantries and hunger relief programs. In 2018 we harvested over 6,500 lbs of fresh vegetables. The garden practices sustainable and organic gardening practices. Volunteers of all ages are welcome to help out at our two-hour evening and day time gardening sessions held three times per week from April through October. We are happy to help plan a Garden Day for your school, community group or corporate team who want to work, learn and serve together.
Age restrictions: 16+ for ReStore & construction build site (accompanied by adult)
Volunteer at ReStore - ReStore is their retail home improvement store located on Andover Street in Lawrence.
Individual or Group Volunteer at a Build Site – if you are 16 years or older and accompanied by an adult over the age of 21, join Habitat on a build site and learn new skills!
Age restrictions: 16+ for most volunteer tasks, 11-15 for special Junior Volunteer opportunities
The MSPCA relies on a large group of active, committed volunteers who help in the adoption center, in our equine and farm center and out in the community. This dedicated group of men and women help care for the animals, assist with special events, and work with local businesses and corporations – they are there wherever extra help is needed.
General Massachusetts Volunteering Resources
- Commonwealth Corps – A statewide initiative designed to engage Massachusetts residents of all ages and backgrounds in service to their community. Corps members serve up to twelve months in full-time, part-time or flex-time capacities and receive a stipend.
- Connect and Serve - A statewide web portal that connects residents with local volunteer opportunities. Search for volunteer opportunities by area or interest.
- Massachusetts Service Alliance – A private non-profit organization that serves as the state commission on community service through the following volunteer projects.
- United Way – A volunteer matching service provided by the United Way.
- VolunteerMatch - Contains volunteer opportunities by cause or volunteer age in the local area. Use the advanced search option to limit the results to within so many miles of Andover.
Last updated 1/3/23, please submit any corrections or added opportunities to email@example.com.